Career & Job Opportunities
© Sergey Nivens / shutterstock
We are looking for PhDs, post-docs, and administrative staff working in various fields connected to ML4Q, check this page regularly for new job announcements.
Attracting and retaining the best young talent in the field by offering competitive career opportunities is a top priority for ML4Q.
We aim to provide an open, international, and diverse research environment.
Open positions within ML4Q are listed here (this page is updated regularly). Since most research group within ML4Q hire PhDs and post-docs individually, it might be advisable for potential candidates to contact suitable ML4Q members directly. Please note that there are no cluster-wide application deadlines for positions within ML4Q.
Office manager position at the ML4Q central office
We are looking for a manager for our central office in Cologne. Deadline: 12.04.2023, details here
Research Assistant/Associate @ RWTH - Teaching Coordinator and Lecturer for Quantum Technologies (f/m/d)
The department of Physics of the RWTH Aachen University comprises twelve research institutes, which are at the forefront of research in several areas of Physics – ranging from high-energy particle physics to statistical physics, from novel materials to quantum technologies. The Department of Physics benefits also from the tight collaboration with the nearby Forschungszentrum Jülich as part of the Jülich-Aachen Research Alliance (JARA). An example of this collaboration is the JARA Institute for Quantum Information, which pursues a variety of topics in practical and fundamental quantum information science.
The department aims at further strengthening its profile as place-to-be for quantum information technologies. An important measure for this has been the recent creation of a new study track specifically dedicated to “Quantum Technologies” for the Master Program in Physics that aims at attracting both physics and electrical-engineering students. In addition, the RWTH Aachen University is one of the leading members in the project ‘DigiQ: Digitally Enhanced European Quantum Technology Master’ that spearheads a transformation of the educational quantum ecosystem by introducing both a series of didactical innovations as well as a multinational program structure within a network of over 20 universities and 100 industrial partners.
- A PhD degree in Physics, Electrical Engineering or related areas (preferably in a field close to quantum technologies) as well as a university degree (master’s or equivalent)
- A strong interest in quantum technologies and teaching
- Familiarity with quantum mechanics at a sufficient level to instruct master students in physics
- Resourcefulness and good interpersonal-skills
- Fluency in English is required; proficiency in German is helpful but not compulsory
- Didactic experience and familiarity with digital learning platforms is beneficial but not necessary
Your Duties and Responsibilities
- Contentual implementation of the project DigiQ at RWTH Aachen University in close collaboration with local lecturers, experts from the Forschungszentrum Jülich, and international members of the DigiQ consortium
- Integration of digital learning modules into courses of the ‘Quantum Technologies’ master track
- Teaching of lectures and exercise classes for the ‘Quantum Technologies’ master track
- Development and organization of DigiQ-Network activities, e.g. seminars or hackathons
- Contribution to didactic evaluation of digital learning methods
- Engagement in additional local research activities in quantum technology
- Provision of guidance and academic support to the ‘Quantum Technologies’ master’s students
- Coordination of various courses of the ‘Quantum Technologies’ master track and of hybrid DigiQ-Courses offered by RWTH Aachen/partner universities
- Selection of the international scholarship applicants
- Opportunity to propose, develop and teach a new course or new course elements in the ‘Quantum Technologies’ master track largely independently
What We Offer
The successful candidate will be employed under a regular employment contract.
The position is to be filled at the earliest possible date and offered for a fixed term of 4 years.
The fixed-term employment is possible as it constitutes one of the fixed-term options of the Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz (German Act on Fixed-term Scientific Contracts).
This is a full-time position with the possibility of a part-time contract upon request.
The salary is based on the German public service salary scale (TV-L).
The position corresponds to a pay grade of EG 14 TV-L.
RWTH is a certified family-friendly University. We support our employees in maintaining a good work-life balance with a wide range of health, advising, and prevention services, for example university sports. Employees who are covered by collective bargaining agreements and civil servants have access to an extensive range of further training courses and the opportunity to purchase a job ticket.
RWTH is an equal opportunities employer. We therefore welcome and encourage applications from all suitably qualified candidates, particularly from groups that are underrepresented at the University. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability or age. RWTH is strongly committed to encouraging women in their careers. Female applicants are given preference if they are equally suitable, competent, and professionally qualified, unless a fellow candidate is favored for a specific reason.
As RWTH is committed to equality of opportunity, we ask you not to include a photo in your application.
You can find information on the personal data we collect from applicants in accordance with Articles 13 and 14 of the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) at http://www.rwth-aachen.de/dsgvo-information-bewerbung.
Permanent Senior Scientist (100%/E14) in der Arbeitsgruppe Quantenmetrologie, Physikalisches Institut, Uni Bonn
Das Physikalische Institut an der Universität Bonn eröffnet die neue Stelle einer/s permanenten Wissenschaftlichen Mitarbeiters/in (E14). Die ausgeschriebene Stelle ist in der Arbeitsgruppe Quantemetrologie eingebettet und soll neben eigenständiger Forschungsarbeit vor allem die Bereiche Schule und Weiterbildung in der Industrie im Rahmen des neulich gegründeten Netzwerks „EIN Quantum NRW“ (Education, Innovation, and Networking) weiterentwickeln. Weitere Informationen in der Stellenausschreibung
PhD positions in experimental quantum optics (Schmitt group, Bonn)
The Quantum Fluids of Light group led by Julian Schmitt at the Institute for Applied Physics, University of Bonn (Germany) is inviting applications for 2 PhD positions in experimental quantum optics. The positions are funded within an ERC Starting Grant (TopoGrand). The successful candidates will collaborate with national and international partners. For more information view the detailed job description.
PhD and Postdoc position in zinc optical clocks (Stellmer group, Bonn)
A PhD position and a Postdoc position (f/m/d) are available in the Quantum Metrology research group at the University of Bonn. View the full job description for more details.
PhD and Postdoc positions in the quMercury experiment (Stellmer group, Bonn)
PhD and Postdoc positions (f/m/d) are available in the Quantum Metrology research group at the University of Bonn. View the full job description for more details.
PhD positions in modeling superconducting qubits (Catelani group, Jülich)
The Catelani group at the JARA Institute for Quantum Information (PGI-11) is inviting applications for 2 PhD positions to work on modeling superconducting qubits and circuits, in particular to understand and mitigate error sources. The positions involve collaborations with partners in larger projects, in theory and/or experiment, and are funded for 3 to 4 years.
A master or equivalent degree in physics (or related fields) and proficiency in English are required. Applications should include a CV, a short letter of motivation, and name and email of two possible referees. Review of applications starts immediately, but there is some flexibility in the starting date.
Bachelor, Master, PhD positions in the Ando group (Cologne)
We aim to provide attractive and internationally competitive career opportunities for young researchers. Measures include:
- Undergraduate Funds to give students the opportunity to be involved in research groups and labs early on.
- Independence Grants to further increase the academic career prospects of ML4Q post-docs by supporting them in developing an independent research profile.
- New professorships within ML4Q will be implemented as tenure-track professorships.
- The ML4Q Research School will implement an attractive course program for Master and PhD students.
More information can be found on the internal website (accessible for ML4Q-affiliated persons only).
We aim to provide a diverse and family-friendly research environment. We take strong measures to hire and promote female researchers. Measures include:
- Incentives for hiring female post-docs will help us increase the fraction of female researchers in particular in the crucial post-doc phase.
- We offer child care support and assistance for parental leave or care for dependents.
- Our Code of Conduct helps provide a work environment where everybody feels welcome and respected.
- ML4Q Diversity Stewards serve as a low-threshold point of contact for those affected by discrimination in all areas (including on the basis of skin color, ethnic origin, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation). Please feel free to contact them in situations like:
You have been discriminated against and need support.
You want to report a case of discrimination.
You are looking for an exchange in a safe environment in order to be clear about how you should deal with a stressful situation you have experienced.
Please select a cluster site to display the contact information of the ML4Q Diversity Steward.
Tel.: +49 241 80 27088
Tel.: +49 (0)228 73 3477
Department of Physics Ombudspersons
Martina von der Ahe
Tel.: +49 2461 61-4433
More information can be found on the internal website (accessible for ML4Q-affiliated persons only); in case you have any questions, feel free to contact the ML4Q Central Office.